Our business was established in 1983 to deal with the growing need within government, commercial, industrial and community sectors for a greater understanding of security risks and how risks can be cost-effectively and innovatively mitigated and managed.
As far as we can determine, we were the first security risk management practice to promote integrated security risk management, crime prevention, emergency risk management and business continuity planning, and to provide expertise to assist clients to develop this framework and design innovative and unified solution.
So, what makes us different?
- The leadership team at Harris Security Management comprises internationally recognised subject matter experts. Our Principal Consultant is a member of Australian Standards committees in the areas of security, emergency, public safety and resilience. For example, FP-017 (Planning for Emergencies in Facilities) and MB-025 (Societal Security and Resilience).
- Our team comprises security and emergency risk management experts who are licensed security consultants and qualified trainers. We have highly experienced consultants with high-level Australian Government security clearances.
- We have unique real-world experience to support clients implementing terrorism related Guidelines promoted by the Australian Government.
- We have many years delivering customised serious security incident (SSI) training, including terrorism preparedness and response.
- We provide objective and rigorous assessments on the strengths and vulnerabilities of security management resources (e.g. on-site security personnel) and technical systems (e.g. video surveillance and physical access control systems).
- We know the technical vulnerabilities of security systems, as well as their true operating costs. This is invaluable knowledge to clients considering investment in new systems.
- We actively seek and evaluate disruptive technologies that could strategically benefit our clients. We ensure our clients are aware of how they can maximise the potential from the Internet of Things and at the same time, the associated risks.
- We have a reputation for innovative and customised design and specification of security systems and contract security services.
- Our qualified criminologist monitors and assesses international and national crime trends relevant to our clients, including terrorism.
- Our engagements provide real evidence of your commitment to duty of care.
- We are fiercely independent from suppliers of security systems and security labour (patrol and guarding) services – our expert advice is absolutely free from conflicts of interest.
No other security risk management consultancy practice possesses such an outstanding reputation for so many years.
What Our Clients Say
I have always found the HSM team very motivated to work through complex issues to achieve the best possible results, highly knowledgeable, in areas of security (including Crime Prevention through Environmental Design) and related risks, security (human and technical) systems and strategic management, and always professional. These attributes are not found in other security consultancies that generally focus on electronic methods without the environmental and social impacts fully understood.
Their report included risk and threat assessments, strategies with budget estimates to improve security risk management, including various technologies and procedures, with a focus on integration, value and effectiveness… We considered the report to be most useful and the consultants to be knowledgeable, professional and co-operative. We have no hesitancy in recommending Harris Security Management.
The detailed report was found to be useful and provided perspectives not considered by other companies and agencies in previous security surveys on the same sites.
I engaged and assessed security consultants across Australia and consider Harris Security Management a consistently superior consultancy practice. HSM led by Geoff Harris, has a reputation for high integrity, being outcomes driven, strong lateral thinking, in-depth technical and risk management knowledge and an excellent understanding of organisational complexity.
The professional expertise, documentation, assistance and courtesy provided by the HSM team has been consistently exceptional. Their independence from suppliers and contractors, their innovation and their drive to identify added value for us is appreciated.
Harris……has undertaken a number of training courses within out offices to train employees on risk reduction……..Their courses were well accepted …… with high praise being offered by all staff and management that attended. Harris….assisted in the development of policies and the rationalisation of procedures to ensure compliance with state laws and regulations. Their regular updates on changes to legal responsibility in respect to security have been invaluable. They are a very professional organisation that has a depth of experience and expertise on security that would be difficult to match. They also have the ability to pass that experience on in usable and cost effective manner.